Sunday, May 31, 2009

Barn Series

What it is about the rusty, dilapidated, pathetic barns, I don't know. I like the fallen iron gateways and overgrown lawns; the houses sitting so close in the same condition but obviously still inhabited. It pushes me a step back to point out again that life is all about fundamentals: build a sturdy foundation and one can grow what s/he needs for the future.

This is one such lesson just down the street from my place; it is tucked behind suburbia in a most unassuming way, two blocks from the old Herbert Hoover Highway.








Just around the corner is a prettier version of the midwest, though I feel it lacks the certain interest I find in the scraped incarnation of itself above:





What do you think?

5 comments:

The Nelsons said...

The new barn, though nice, is not nearly as interesting as the dilapidated one. Not nearly as much character.

The Nelsons said...

...but you also don't seem as interested in it. Th shots are wide and all inclusive, not close up and artistic and off set. Did you look for the character in the sparkly barn?

Unknown said...

The first picture is my favorite of this set. I really like the way you frame the old buildings.

Eat | Shoot | Wear said...

Actually, it was raining out and I took all the pics from the passenger seat of my car so I wouldn't sully my precious lenses, haha. The shiny barn pics were from the opposite side of the highway, pulled off to the side of the road... I really didn't get a great angle on them.

Anonymous said...

The old ones have stories to tell, of joys and fear and love and heartache, of people and their struggles and their triumphs!