Thursday, June 25, 2009

Daytime in KC

Leaving the comforts of the hotel with a generous cup of lobby coffee, comfortable yet chic shoes and my guy committing to day two of chasing me and my camera, I was exhilarated. Somehow, in the years and years KC was my home, I missed the Kansas City Art Institute. I had a peek of campus while we were driving around the Plaza the evening before and was happy to be at exploration point. Why didn't I go to school there?! Silly me.

Crying Giant



Spider


Source Figure


Architect's Handkerchief


After orbiting their closed museum (at least I tell myself it was closed so I don't lament not going in), we happened to stumble onto the backyard of the Nelson Art Gallery and into the Sculpture Park.


Standing Figures


Shuttlecocks


Finally we headed back to the Plaza for lunch and after, returned to the site of the JC Nichols Memorial Fountain from the night before. On this first one I was using an oversized hood; I don't know if I like or don't like the result. It looks like a Photoshop filter, really.




I decided I'd hit all the fountains on the Plaza. Some were less grand than I expected but some proved to awaken my muse.

A Morning Prayer


Ponoma




Fountain of Bacchus at The Cheesecake Factory


Heading back to the car, I couldn't stop looking at the below parking garage.


Then, after popping into The Body Shop, I happened upon this funky door:


We got back into the car at that point, satisfied and immediately hitting the 5-hour road home.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Are the standing figures headless?

Eat | Shoot | Wear said...

All but one!